The current City of Tempe was formed in 1879 by combining two settlements, San Pablo on the East side of a large Butte (Tempe Butte) and Hayden's Ferry on the West side of the Butte. The name "Tempe" was suggested by "Lord" Darrell Duppa, an Englishman who helped establish Phoenix. The sight of the butte, the wide river, and the nearby expanse of green fields, reminded him of the Vale of Tempe in ancient Greece.
In 1885, the Arizona legislature selected Tempe as the site for the Territorial Normal School, which trained teachers for Arizona's schools. In 1958 this school became Arizona State University.
For a more detailed history see the Tempe History Museum website:
The ARMLS logo indicates a shared property that may be listed by a real estate brokerage other than the the publisher of this website. All information should be verified by the recipient and none is guaranteed as accurate by ARMLS. Copyright 2018 Arizona Regional Multiple Listing Service, Inc. All rights reserved.
Updated: 25th June, 2019 4:19 AM.