Scottsdale's history began in 1888 when Chaplain Winfield Scott purchased a section of land extending east from Scottsdale Road and Indian School Road to Hayden Road, north to Chaparral Road, west to Scottsdale Road, then south back to Indian School Road. The total cost of the property is $2.50 per acre.
Scott's intent was to irrigate the land for farming. Among his many crops was Citrus.
Over the following decades Scottsdale would continue to grow as people were drawn to the area's dry climate for health reasons, to escape the East Coast & Midwestern Winters, to farm, as an artist community, and for jobs, as Scottsdale gained a major electronics manufacturer.
Scottsdale was incorporated as a city in 1951.
See significant dates in Scottsdale's growth from the Scottsdale Historical Museum's webpage:
The ARMLS logo indicates a shared property that may be listed by a real estate brokerage other than the the publisher of this website. All information should be verified by the recipient and none is guaranteed as accurate by ARMLS. Copyright 2018 Arizona Regional Multiple Listing Service, Inc. All rights reserved.
Updated: 20th April, 2019 9:01 PM.